Need a healthy holiday recipe without sacrificing taste? When you’re following a fertility boosting diet, the holidays can be a challenge. Conceive Health’s Dr. Rachel has your back.
The smell of delicious gingerbread cookies during the holiday season warms my heart! There are also a number of health benefits, as long as the sugar is kept low. Ginger is warming food, meaning it increases circulation to keep you feeling cozy during cold winter months. It also has benefits for painful periods. And it makes a great after-dinner treat because it helps with digestion. See below for this health recipe’s ingredients and instructions:
1.5 cups almond flour
1 cup oat flour (simply grind oats in the blender to make flour)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
1/2 cup Sucanat
1/4 maple syrup
1/2 cup unsulfured, organic molasses
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix flours, spices, salt and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine coconut oil and sucanat using an electric beater for 1 minute. Then slowly add in maple syrup, molasses, egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture on low speed until well combined.
- Gather dough into a ball and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking. You can also leave it overnight if you prefer.
- Once chilled, remove from fridge and roll the dough into 1″ balls using your hands.
- Place dough balls on your baking sheet and press down gently with the tines of a fork.
- You can also try rolling your dough out and using holiday cookie cutters to make the shapes of your choice.
- Bake 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown.
- Let cool. Enjoy!
Dr. Rachel Corradetti-Sargeant,ND is located at Conceive Health @ Niagra Fertility at Stoney Creek. To book an appointment with Dr. Corradetti-Sargeant, click here.