Hormone Balancing Breakfast – Chia Seed Pudding
Dr. Morgan Ramsay, ND
One of the most daunting tasks in the morning is figuring out what to eat for breakfast! This is especially true when trying to focus on a fertility-friendly morning routine, and unfortunately, the classic (and often the quickest!) breakfast foods don’t always fit the bill. The most convenient foods — toast, instant oatmeal, toaster waffles, cereal — typically are loaded with refined carbohydrates, while also lacking fiber and protein. This can have a significant impact on our blood sugar, sending hormones, mood, and satiety cues on a wild roller coaster ride for the rest of the day.
So, what is a good breakfast option when you’re in a time crunch? My number one go-to: chia seed pudding! The best part of this recipe is that it can be made the night before, so you can wake up feeling prepared (and sleep in an extra 10 minutes). It is packed with fiber, added protein, and naturally rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals — all of which are foundational to enhancing reproductive health.
FERTILITY NUTRITIONAL MVPs
Cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder:
- High in minerals like magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iron — essential components in building red blood cells, endometrial lining thickness, and generating energy to create healthy egg and sperm cells.
- An antioxidant superfood (70% cacao or more is where the magic is)
- Reduces inflammation and oxidative damage to improve the quality of egg and sperm.
- Rich source of fiber & complete protein source – stabilizes blood sugars, and insulin response and actually keeps you full!
- Abundant in plant-based iron (1.5 tbsp of chia seeds = 1.25mg iron)
- Omega-3 power house
- Reduces inflammation to create an optimal environment to implant
Nut butters, nut/seeds, hemp hearts:
- ALL additional rich sources of protein and omega-3s to further reduce inflammation, improve blood flow to the uterine lining and give your body the building blocks to generate healthy eggs and sperm
RECIPE: Overnight Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding (makes 2-4 servings) *Dairy-free, gluten-free and super easy to modify
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cups alternative milk of choice (PRO TIP: coconut milk makes this SUPER creamy)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder or 1-2 scoops of collagen (aiming for approximately 20g serving of protein here to make this a balanced, filling breakfast)
- stir everything together in a bowl (whisking the cacao/cocoa powder in a touch of liquid first helps get out the clumps).
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours to reach pudding-like consistency.
In my opinion, the very best part. Easy to throw on top in the morning and ready to go!
- 1-2 tbsp drippy almond/nut butter
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts/seeds (BONUS for using walnuts: as they’re the highest omega-3 nut)
- fresh berries or bananas
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- hemp hearts (BONUS for extra plant-powered protein + omega-3s)
- coconut whipped cream
- cacao nibs
- cinnamon (always more cinnamon!)